Wednesday, December 24, 2008

2008 curtain

Now the end is near, and so I face the final curtain. My friends I said it clear. I state my case of which I'm certain.

It's Christmas day. Made myself a cup of chai tea hoping it would help squeeze some juice from my dried up brain and find a triple word score for my game of online scrabble. Noticed a soap on Hallmark "12 Days to Christmas Eve". About a man who had an accident and had to prove his worth to the power upstairs.

The part that stole my attention was when the man brought breakfast to bed in order to propose to the lady. It was beautifully done with a twist. The lady declined. On the ground that the man was a bad husband and a bad father. Too glossy for me to swallow.That was too scripted for me. I left the tube.

But I couldn't help wondering about the reality. On the verge of a new year, I feel like I am losing the grip on reality. Well, the reality that I know of. All the values that I have been holding to is being pushed aside. Being a muslim Malay living in Malaysia, I was surprised when my English lecturers from Nottingham University kept saying how amazing to see Malaysian of different races and religions living together in harmony. They sounded cynical like they couldn't believe it.

Well, I did. I really believed that pre GE12, we were doing fine as Malaysians.


No comments: